Site Network: Home | About

In the last post I described the approach for installing Informatica Powercenter 7.1 on WIndows Vista . There was something I did on configuring Windows services which I would like to mention here.

When Informtica is installed on Windows with repository on Oracle database, it will show the following services (as display names) in “Services” window.

  1. OracleServiceORCL10G (there are other Oracle services as well like, but I am not considering them for the current scenario, as this service alone is just enough to describe what I want to say)
  2. Informatica Repository Server (PmRepServer)
  3. Informatica (Powermart)

Previously I used to keep Oracle in “Automatic” startup option so that Oracle database is available as my machine boots up (means I do not have to manually bring it up). I had wished the same effect for both Informatica services as well, so that I did not have to start them every time I reboot my machine. Problem was that there is a dependency among these 3 services. Rep service can not start unless Oracle database is available (since Rep service requires rep database), and Informatica service can not start without Rep service in place running. Due to these dependencies among services and I did not set up any dependency rule between them, they all used to start their services at one time (after system reboots), but only Oracle used to succeed as Oracle does not have dependency on others (at least not on other 2 Informatica services).

I always overlooked the “Dependencies” tab that is there when you open properties of a service (Right click on service and choose Properties). But the last time, while I was installing Infa 7.1 on my Vista laptop I gave a close look at, and realized that that was something useful for me. You can very easily define the dependencies between services so that they start or stop in order.

The following steps need to be performed in order to create a dependency (Consider taking backup of current registry settings)

  1. Run 'regedit' to open your registry.
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and locate the service that you need to set a dependency for. (here you need to search for service name, not display name i.e. locate PmRepServer not “Informatica Repository Server”)
  3. Open the 'DependOnService' key on the right side. If the selected service does not have a 'DependOnService' key, then create one by right-clicking and selecting New > Multi-String Value.
  4. In the value field, enter the names of all services that the current service will depend on. Each service name must be entered properly (again, it should be service name, not disaplay name) and on a separate line.
  5. Click OK

Perform the step 2 and 3 for both “Informatica Repository Server” (PmRepServer) with “OracleServiceORCL10G” as DependOnService, and “Informatica” (Powermart) as DependOnService on “Informatica Repository Server”.

This setup makes sure that the service start happens only in “OracleServiceORCL10G > Informatica Repository Server > Informatica” order, and the service stop in reverse order.

There is a new Startup Type option introduced in Windows Vista called “Automatic (Delayed Start)”. I feel this is another good feature. This option delays the Automatic starting up of services for some time (may be few seconds) until the machine boot-up is completely done (you can avoid/reduce the painful slow/no responses on restarts). I enabled this option on “OracleServiceORCL10G” service. Anyway, other 2 services are now dependent on Oracle service, so enabling delayed startup type explicitly would have no additional effect, so they are just “Automatic” startup type.

Hope it helps!

Karteek

0 Comments:

Post a Comment