Site Network: Home | About

Birthday resolutions…

 

I never had a positive opinion on making resolutions on specific occasions like new year and birthday, neither a negative opinion too – I was just neutral, never thought about that concept at all. I want to try that now…that’s a positive wave and powerful I think. Would be even more powerful when your resolution is spread among the people around you. And especially if you are open in your resolution in giving up some bad habit it will have tremendous impact - because people around you are watching even you want to take a chance :-) - that’s ok, that’s not bad.

Today is my birthday, and this is the first time in my life I want to make couple of resolutions – related to my time and sleep.

I haven’t been very good at these two – I need to improve my time management skills and I need to try to fix my sleeping hours.

I don’t have a specific strategy right now to manage my time…but I need to plan something now at least. These days I’m really feeling that I haven’t been up to in my productivity though I’ve been very busy working on several pieces simultaneously. I know I can do even better, if there is a plan in place, and if I adhere to that. This is something VERY serious that everyone should look into when they are finding the reduced productivity with increased time effort. Varun, when he came to Hyderabad recently, was talking about Steven Covey’s time management stuff (First Things First) – a framework to prioritize your work in a 2x2 matrix – I’ve this below image from wikipedia page. That’s a good concept – many people knew about the truth he explained but that is a spark only when someone reminds or talks about that. From the same page few more words…”His quadrant 2 has the items that are non-urgent but important. These are the ones he believes we are likely to neglect; but, should focus on to achieve effectiveness.

  1. I see my SAS certification fits into Q2 perfectly. That’s one of my important goals in the near future, and however that’s not urgent for me. Many things come to Q1 only if you don’t accomplish then in Q1. But the important thing realizing Q2 things is relatively difficult, and even more difficult to make that true. That’s your strategic area, and you just have to be committed.
  2. Right now I don’t have any day-planner – I’m thinking of having it one – at least some notes on paper/book/calendar – anywhere. I can improvise that as I use.

I think I can easily fix my sleeping timings. I know this is not fully in my hands everyday – my work at office sometimes forces me work late hours too. If I can handle Q1,3 and 4 tasks well, hopefully I can even control my working and learning hours very well. 6hours of good sleep (without any dreams :-) ) is sufficient for me. But on some days I even slept for over 8hours!! 8 hours sleep is of no use, seriously – I never felt restless when I had 6 hours of sleep, rather if I enjoyed the busy day. And if you maintain the consistency in the sleep time and number of hours that would be awesome – you are disciplined and by that you have much more potential than you used to have. I’m planning to go to sleep between  12:00 to 6:00 AM. 6 hours sleep id not new to me, but can I turn that into habit? Let me see how far I can make it.

Wish me best!! Those are my birthday wishes…

- K

0 Comments:

Post a Comment